VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 6th, 2023 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Why safe playgrounds aren't great for kids

Why safe playgrounds aren't great for kids

Quote:
The stereotypical modern playground — with its bright colors and rubberized flooring — is designed to be clean, safe, and lawsuit-proof. But that isn't necessarily the best design for kids.

US playground designers spent decades figuring out how to minimize risk: reducing heights, softening surfaces, and limiting loose parts. But now, some are experimenting with creating risk. A growing body of research has found that risky outdoor play is a key part of children’s health, promoting social interactions, creativity, problem-solving, and resilience.

Some communities are even experimenting with “adventure playgrounds,” a format with origins in World War II Denmark, where bomb sites became impromptu playgrounds. Filled with props like nails, hammers, saws, paint, tires, and wood planks, these spaces look more like junkyards than play spaces — and parents are often kept outside of the playground while children are chaperoned by staff. Now, that question of keeping children safe versus keeping children engaged is at the heart of a big debate in playground design.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old May 8th, 2023 #2
Ray Allan

Some parents today think their kids should walk around in bubble wrap, given how risk-adverse society in the KWA has become. I never saw those junkyard-style playgrounds where I lived as a kid, the ones at school and public playgrounds were similar to the plastic ones shown, but they were all metal. But I did step on a rusty nail sticking out of a board once and had to get a tetanus shot. Gosh, how did I survive back then not even wearing a bicycle helmet??

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old May 8th, 2023 #3
Major Sharpe
Banned

Quote:
Why safe playgrounds aren't great for kids
This idea was born in the first years after World War II, when Europe was mostly white. I contend it wouldn't work well today...

Quote:
Cincinnati News

7 Playground Children Found Bludgeoned To Death With Hammers

At a trendy new "junk-yard" style playground parents who had left their children to play unattended while they sipped cappuccino at a nearby Starbucks returned to find a horrific scene of murder and mayhem. Among the terrified children who witnessed the attack, some with bruises and cuts, lay seven murdered children: three girls ranging from 6 to 10 and four boys between 5 to 9. The three girls had all been sexually molested. One had her eyes gouged out with a screwdriver. All three had been beaten to death with claw hammers, apparently abundantly scattered about the play area. The boys were also brutally murdered. One had his skull crushed with a concrete building block freely available on the playground premises. Authorities are searching for two African-American boys...

Thread