VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 3rd, 2023 #1
jagd messer

Default Nature in Australia: Crocs, Snakes, Spiders, Sharks, Jelly Fish

Remains of missing Australian man found inside two crocodiles

Lakefield National Park, Queensland.

The 65-year-old victim had gone fishing on Saturday in the far north of Queensland in crocodile-infested waters.

THE REMAINS OF an Australian man who went missing on a fishing trip in crocodile-infested waters have been found inside two of the reptiles, police said today. The 65-year-old victim, named in Australian media as Kevin Darmody, had gone fishing on Saturday in far north Queensland as part of a group, who shooed away a crocodile so they could start fishing, police said.

People fishing with the pub manager heard him “yell, scream very loudly, followed by a large splashing of water”, said Cairns police inspector Mark Henderson.

Rangers later used rifles to shoot and kill two crocodiles – one measuring about 4.2 metres (14 feet) and the other 2.8 metres (nine feet) – found upstream from where the group was fishing within Lakefield National Park.

Examinations found human remains in both of the predators, police said.

Henderson described it as a “tragic, tragic ending”. The man was “a very nice fellow” from the rural north Queensland town of Laura, which has a population of about 130 people, Henderson said.

Queensland state wildlife official Michael Joyce urged people to be wary. “This is croc country. If you are in water and especially if you are in Lakefield, which is declared specifically for crocodile conservation, you should expect crocodiles in that water.”

Remains of missing Australian man found inside two crocodiles
03 V 2023.

Old May 3rd, 2023 #2
Major Sharpe
Banned

Old May 3rd, 2023 #3
jagd messer

The deadliest animals in Australia - and they're NOT sharks, snakes or crocodiles

Horses and cows killed more people than sharks and crocodiles combined
Australian Bureau of Statistics charted deaths by animals over 10-year period
Sharks and marine animals killed 26 people, crocodiles caused 17 fatalities
Statistics brought forward in wake of recent spate of shark sightings at beaches

Australia is home to some of the deadliest animals in the world, but the ones most likely to kill you may come as a surprise. Horses and cows have caused more deaths than sharks and crocodiles combined, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. A total of 77 Australians died as a result of horses, cows and animal transport between 2008 and 2017.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, horses and cows have caused more human deaths than sharks and crocodiles combined

Sharks and other marine animals have killed 26 people in the last 10 years.

The figures also show that while sharks and other marine animals killed 26 people, crocodiles killed just 17 and hornets, wasps and bees killed 27.

Worldwide, mosquitoes are by far the deadliest animal, killing more than 700,000 people a year.

Snakes come in second with about 110,000 fatalities, but only a fraction of these are thought to happen in Australia.

Snakes and lizards ranked fifth on Australia's death list, despite the fact the world's most venomous land snake lives in the country.

The surprising statistics come after a spate of shark sightings at popular Australian beaches. Most recently a two-metre long shark was spotted at Middleton Beach in Albany, Western Australia. A monster great white shark was found 150 metres from the shoreline of popular Maroubra beach in Sydney earlier this month.

Crocodiles have killed 17 people in Australia over the past decade.

Hornets, wasps and bees are seemingly more dangerous than the sharks and crocodiles, with 27 deaths to their name.

Twenty-six shark attacks have gone down in Australia this year alone, with one fatality, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Eighteen incidents resulted in an injury and only seven swimmers got out of trouble bite-free.

The NSW Government for their part will unroll the largest stockpile of drones, drumlines and shark listening stations along the state's coastline this summer.

Deaths in Australia by animals between 2008-2017:

Horse, cows, animal transport (77)
Mammals/other (60)
Hornets, wasps, bees (27)
Sharks/other marine animals (26)
Snakes/lizards (23)
Dogs (22)
Crocodiles (17)
Non venomous insect stings (8)
Contact with unspecified, venomous arthropod (4)
Rats (1)
Contact with unspecified, venomous animal or plant (1)

Australia's deadliest animals over past ten years are not the... 03 V 2023.

Old May 3rd, 2023 #4
Ole Massa

Australia is a dangerous place. I'm surprised Vegemite isn't on the list.

Old May 7th, 2023 #5
jagd messer

Old October 6th, 2023 #6
jagd messer

Default Roos

Raging 7ft-tall kangaroo puts farmer in a headlock during vicious attack after knocking him off his motorbike

A raging 7ft (2.1-metre) kangaroo put a farmer in a headlock after dragging him off his motorbike. Brian O'Donnell, from St Arnaud in country Victoria, was riding his Honda across his farmland to check on a cow that was due to give birth when he noticed the massive marsupial stalking him. Instead of hopping away - as most kangaroos would - the creature 'started growling and jumping up and down', Mr O'Donnell, 74, told the ABC.

Brian O'Donnell, from St Arnaud in country Victoria, was riding his Honda across his farmland to check on a cow that was due to give birth when he noticed the massive marsupial stalking him.

The kangaroo left Mr O'Donnell with nasty scratches on his neck and back.

'Next thing I know he was on top of me.' The farmer said the kangaroo put him in a headlock and tore at his clothing, leaving with him gashes on his neck and back. 'He had his top paws right around my back. We were almost headbutting each other,' he said.

'I just kept punching him until he let me go and [the kangaroo] jumped away, about 15 metres.' Mr O'Donnell scrambled back onto his motorbike as the kangaroo charged again, with the farmer narrowly making an escape.

Kangaroos do not normally attack and it is possible the roo in question mistook Mr O'Donnell's actions as a threat. His wife, Sue, was enjoying a glass of wine when Mr O'Donnell returned covered in cuts and bruises. She took him to a local medical centre for stitches and to be treated with antibiotics. Kangaroos do not normally attack and it is possible the roo in question mistook Mr O'Donnell's actions as a threat. The cow the farmer was checking on is still yet to give birth.

Kangaroos are mostly docile creatures, and interactions with humans are infrequent.

They can be unpredictable when they feel they are threatened, or that their territory is being encroached on - whether by a human or another animal. Fewer than five people each year seek treatment for kangaroo attacks in NSW.

The most common reasons for a kangaroo to attack a human are:
They see the person as a threat or a sparring opponent. They often will try to protect their group or offspring.
The kangaroo has lost its instinctive fear of humans - generally as a result of humans feeding or handling it from a young age.
The kangaroo is in an unfamiliar terrain or has recently moved habitats. Natural disasters like drought and fires can force a kangaroo out of its home and closer to roads and walking trails to seek out food and water, which poses a threat.
When a kangaroo attacks a person, the will generally do so in a similar matter to fighting another kangaroo, using their paws to push or 'grapple' the opponent to the ground.

How to avoid threatening a kangaroo:

Do not walk directly toward the kangaroo.
Do not stand up tall, stare or hold your arms out towards a kangaroo.
Do not go near male kangaroos that are sparring, fighting or showing off their size and strength to each other.
Do not move between a female and her joey.
Do not allow your dog to approach a kangaroo. Kangaroos will vigorously defend themselves against dogs, and this may draw you into a dangerous situation.

06 X 2023.

Old October 6th, 2023 #7
Major Sharpe
Banned

You come home from a hard day's work a way down south in Aussie Land and happen to glance up at the living room wall and see this. Do you shit your pants and run away screaming? Whatever the case, Australia has some very creepy spiders.

But it's this critter (below) that raises the prickles on the back of my neck more than any other Australian creature:

SYDNEY FUNNEL WEB SPIDER

Old December 29th, 2023 #8
jagd messer

Default 15-year-old surfer dies after shark attack off South Australia

15-year-old surfer dies after shark attack off South Australia

Ethel Beach on South Australia's Yorke Peninsula.

It is the third such fatal incident in waters off the state since May.

A 15-YEAR-OLD surfer has died in the third fatal shark attack to take place in waters off South Australia state in recent months. Khai Cowley was attacked by a suspected great white shark on Thursday while surfing with his father off the remote Ethel Beach on the Yorke Peninsula west of his hometown of Adelaide, authorities said. The boy was brought to shore, but emergency services were unable to revive him.

Surfers also died in shark attacks in remote parts of South Australia in May and October. Their bodies were never recovered.

South Australia premier Peter Malinauskas said there have been 11 fatal shark attacks in the state’s waters since 2000. The fact that three of those fatalities occurred since May is “startling and is of concern”, he told Nine Network television today. Malinauskas said there was little the government could do to make beaches safer outside Adelaide, the state capital and its most populous city.

Outside the state, a 16-year-old girl was killed by a bull shark in a river in the west coast city of Perth in February in the only other fatal shark attack in Australia during 2023.

Adelaide-based shark expert Andrew Fox said the increase in shark attacks in South Australia this year, including two non-fatal attacks, was difficult to explain. He said overcast conditions like those at Ethel Beach on Thursday can embolden sharks to attack.

15-year-old surfer dies after shark attack off South Australia

29 XII 2023.

Old January 1st, 2024 #9
jagd messer

Default Deadly Snake Stops Play at Australian Tennis Event

Deadly Snake Stops Play at Australian Tennis Event

The deadly Australian eastern brown snake. Australia is home to 20 of the world’s 25 most venomous snakes, including the entire top 10, from which a single scratch from a venom-coated tooth can be enough to paralyse the heart, diaphragm and lungs.

A deadly snake that slithered onto the court stopped play during Dominic Thiem’s victory against James McCabe at the Brisbane International qualifying event in Australia on Saturday. Former U.S. Open champion Thiem was a set down to Australian McCabe when the venomous eastern brown snake – one of the world’s deadliest – was spotted near the courtside electrical wires. A 40-minute break in play followed while the reptile was safely removed by a professional snake catcher, the BBC reports.

“I really love animals, especially exotic ones,” a relieved Thiem said afterwards. “But they said it was a really poisonous snake and it was close to the ball kids, so it was a really dangerous situation. It’s something that has never happened to me and is something I’ll definitely never forget.”

The animal was identified as a highly venomous eastern brown snake and was approximately 50cm in length.

Australia hosts 20 of the world’s 25 most venomous snakes, including the entire top 10, from which a single scratch from a venom-coated tooth can be enough to paralyse the heart, diaphragm and lungs.

Several species are found in densely populated urban areas along the east coast. According to official estimates there are about 3,000 snake bites in Australia every year, 300-500 of which will receive anti-venom treatment. An average of two will prove fatal.

In Australia, they take deadly, venomous snakes and get rid of them. In the US, we take deadly, venomous snakes and vote them into office.

Breitbart:

Deadly Snake Stops Play at Australian Tennis Event

01 I 2024.

Old January 13th, 2024 #10
jagd messer

Default Crocodile attack.

Australian farmer survives crocodile attack by biting back

Cattle producer Colin Deveraux has spent a month in hospital after being bitten by the 3.2m (10ft) saltwater crocodile in the Northern Territory.

•According to the local government, crocodiles are the basis for an important industry in the Northern Territory and are protected by law.

Crocodiles are protected under Northern Territory and Australian legislation.

An Australian farmer says he is lucky to be alive after repelling a crocodile attack by biting back at the animal. Cattle producer Colin Deveraux has spent a month in hospital after being bitten by the 3.2m (10ft) saltwater crocodile in the Northern Territory. He told ABC News he bit the crocodile's eyelid in his struggle to survive.

Mr Deveraux said his ordeal began after he stopped at a billabong (lake) while he was travelling to build fencing near the Finniss River last month. He paused by the lake after noticing fish swimming in the middle of its retreating waters. After he stepped away again, the crocodile "latched" onto his right foot, shaking him like a "rag doll" and pulling him into the water. Mr Deveraux told ABC he first tried kicking the crocodile in the ribs with his other foot - before biting the reptile back. "I was in such an awkward position… but by accident my teeth caught his eyelid. It was pretty thick, like holding onto leather, but I jerked back on his eyelid and he let go. "I leapt away and took off with great steps up to where my car was. He chased me for a bit, maybe four metres, but then stopped."

Mr Deveraux said he used a towel and some rope to stop the bleeding in his leg, before his brother drove him 130km (80 miles) north to the Royal Darwin Hospital. "If he [the crocodile] had bitten me somewhere else it would have been different," he said. "It means I've got to change what I do. I've been walking around that swamp country too long fixing fences and living life, but it's opened my eyes."

According to the local government, crocodiles are the basis for an important industry in the Northern Territory and are protected by law. They are considered to be of huge scientific and human interest as well as a valuable tourist attraction.

The last fatal crocodile attack happened in April this year on the Kennedy River in Cape York Peninsula, Queensland.

Australian farmer survives crocodile attack by biting back
13 I 2024.

Old February 22nd, 2024 #11
jagd messer

Default Venomous snake found lurking in public toilet in Australia

Venomous snake found lurking in public toilet in Australia

go to source for vid
00:38
Watch: Venomous snake found lurking in public toilet in Australia

Snake catcher Tennille Banks was called out to a toilet cubicle in the rural town of Goondiwindi in Queensland, Australia, to remove a spotted black snake.

Police watched as she wrestled the snake from the toilet bowl, pulling it into a bag. It was later freed into the wilderness.

The spotted black snake, also known as the blue-bellied black snake, is a species of venomous snake native to the country.

Venomous snake found lurking in public toilet in Australia
22 II 2024.

Thread